If you rely on well water, getting a sediment filter may be a great investment. A sediment filter will reduce or eliminate any sediment, rust, and minerals from your water. That means your water will be safe to drink for your family, plus it will mean less time cleaning dishes and appliances.
It’s important to note that most sediment filters are standard models. Meaning they’re easy to use, affordable, and available at most home improvement stores. Many people choose to get a sediment filter for their well, but don’t stop at just one.
1. Aquaboon 5 Micron 10" x 2.5" Grooved Sediment Water Filter Replacement Cartridge
- Collection surface area is 25 sq. in.
- High quality filter cartridge
- Reinforced with fiber mesh
- 10 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches in height
- Replacement cartridge for extremely popular RO units
- Last longer than the original one
- Perfect for removing heavy sediments
- Serve as an output filter for RO systems
- Strong material that is tough and durable
The Aquaboon 5 Micron 10×2.5 Grooved Sediment Water Filter Replacement Cartridge is equipped with chemical resistant material that is ideal for removing excess sediments and rust from water. The fiber mesh is tough and durable, and is able to withstand the tension generated from water pressure.
The filter’s depth enables it to absorb more sediment, and is compatible with many RO systems. Its collection surface area is 25 sq. inches.
Lastly, this replacement cartridge is more cost effective than the original cartridge.
2. iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- The set uses three filtering units
- Very easy to install
- Some reported issues with units that did not work well
- Because water is drawn from multiple places around the house, there is a chance that contaminants could get through.
The iSpring filter is the best choice for whole house sediment filter system because of its power. The three-stage filtration system it uses removes not only sediment but also chlorine, dirt, and other harmful contaminants in the water. The filter is so great that it can eliminate dirt and any contaminant that could damage your plumbing, pipes, and appliance fixtures. The filter can up to 100,000 gallons, which could last for a couple of years.
It is important to note that this system is quite heavy and it will require more storage space. Despite the fact that installation is quite straightforward, it will require time to get the system set up.
3. Culligan HF-360A Whole-House Standard Water Filtraion System
- Excellent at removing most contaminants in any size of pool
- Fairly priced
- Easy to install and operate
- Very good for the price
- The performance cannot be compared with those that come with a larger price tag
- Not so good at removing bacteria, suspended organic material
(Pack of 3)
This is an Amazon’s Choice item, it is a bit pricey for what it is, but if you shop for filters, you will know that water filters are cheaper than the other items you can find in the store. This is a basic filter that you can buy, or you can go for the same brand but a step up.
If you have a pool, this filter delivers a good amount of clean water. If you are on a budget, this is one of the best water filter you can buy for the amount of money.
4. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House 15,000-Gallon Water Filtration System
- Includes both Sediment and Carbon Filters
- Whole house
- Leak Free
- Easy to Install
- O ring was not packed well and an extra one is needed for the installation
- Different o rings are needed for different size of water lines. and they need to be of the exact size, no bigger or no smaller or they will not work. Simple enough to do, but if you miss the size of the o ring it needs to be changed, whole house won’t work.
This water filter kit has everything needed for whole house filtration. The carbon filters and sediment filters included in the kit will take care of all the filtration needed to make your drinking water safe for consumption and service all the faucets, pipes and ice makers in your home.
The water filtration system listed above will fit a 1 inch water line. It is a high end DuPont brand and comes with one year warranty. Upon purchase it comes with all the installation materials including one sediment filter and one carbon filter (enough to replace for one year), one mounting bracket, two hoses (drinking and non drinking water), two valves, and two shut offs.
This filter is designed to filter a large amount of water in one day, there is no other way to get a whole house filter any cheaper and any easier to install.
5. GE SmartWater FXHSC GE Replacement Water Whole House Filter
- Advanced Media Reduces Impurities
- Provides up to 6 months of protection
- High grade materials; can be used with low pressure filters
The GE SmartWater filter provides up to 6 months of protection that brings your water to a level of purity that will exceed all NSF and AWWA standards. The filter medium will absorb 90% of all suspended solids in your water.
The GE SmartWater FXHSC is easy to install and maintain as it is made with high-grade materials that will eliminate the hassle of making it fit into the housing unit. Its streamlined design makes it easier to bolt up, and its hexagonal surface lets you tighten it with fewer turns as well.
It works great with cold and hot water and has a flow rating of 0 – 100GPM. This filter is capable of protecting well water and comes at a relatively low price compared to other filter brands that offer the same level of quality.
6. Culligan HD-950A Whole-House Heavy Duty Inlet/Outlet Water Filtration System
- Can filter up to 1 million gallons of water
- Easy to install and replace filters when needed
- Filters more than 15 contaminants from your water
- It’s a bit pricey
- It’s not ideal for hard water
The Culligan Heavy Duty Whole House Water Filtration System is an excellent choice for making sure your well has healthy water for drinking, cooking, and using for your household appliances such as your washing machine or clothes dryer. The system attaches easily to whatever water faucet is convenient for you and comes with hoses that you need for your installation.
When you first install the system, you will have to get three sediment filters. They are easy to get at any house improvement store. Once you install the sediment filters, you will have to filter water for 72 hours. After this period, you will have to change the sediment filter every six months. The other two filters need to be cleaned and replaced every year.
This system does such a good job filtering water that it can eliminate up to 15 different contaminants from your water, including the following:
- It’s a bit pricey
- It’s not ideal for hard water
7. iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System Big Blue
- Fast and easy installation
- Attaches easily to faucets at spout or pressure and feed lines
- Comes with 30 Day Money Back and 1 Year Replacement Guarantee
- Well-designed to accommodate shorter faucets
Chloramines, Harmful Chemicals, Pesticides, Herbicides, Viruses, Cysts, Heavy Metals, Sediment, and Agricultural Runoff, Includes 3/4” Fittings, 4 Pack of Cartridges, 1 Year Warranty.
The iSpring WGB22B is a great option for homeowners with larger spaces to go through such as those that have to support a n inch (Flexible Hose) or 3/4-inch (Compression) tubing. It is a two-stage water filtration system designed for standard faucet tubing such as 3/4 and Hose.
The product includes an adjustable flow control cartridge with a filter life of a bunch of months, which is enough to deliver you with clean water for months without much intervention. Also included with this product is a flexible hose kit, which allows for connection flexibility to your filtration system based on the available space in even the tightest corners or spaces.
8. iSpring WSP-50 Reusable Whole House Spin Down Sediment Water Filter 50 Micron
- High quality
- Easy to install
- May take some time to filter
- Some say the plastic gets cloudy
This is our top pick for the best sediment filter because it offers high quality at an affordable price. It is easy to install, maintain and perfect for well or spring water systems. The 50 micron sediment water filter has a high removal capacity that ensures that your drinking water will always be safe. You don’t have to worry if you want to use the filter in smaller city water systems.
The quality of the filter is also on point, it is made of high-quality materials that will remain functional and in great shape over a long time. You don’t have to worry about repairs because the pieces are easily replaceable.
9. 5 Micron 10" x 2.5" Whole House Sediment Water Filter Replacement Cartridge Compatible
- Easy to replace
- Good quality filtration
- Good flow rate
- Parts from the unit wears out over time
- Poor customer care
This 10" by 2.5" filters are one of the most popular filters used for well water. For most specifications, that is used on the well, it requires a 10-inch diameter by 3-inch tall filter cartridge.
This is a great product in terms of price and quality. It's very affordable compared to others in the market. The construction is decent and comes in a complete set.
For replacement, it's pretty easy to unscrew the old one and attach the new one. These filters have good quality filtration that removes sediments and other impurities from a well.
10. iSpring WSP-50SL Reusable Whole House Spin Down Sediment Water Filter
- Multiple sizes available
The iSpring WSP-50SL offers spacious, effective filtering with siliphos technology. This technology is composed of activated silica which strengthens the vessels and enlarges them a thousand times. Not only that, it imparts a reverse osmosis-type treatment to the water plus, siliphos prevents any bacteria growth.
The filtration system is an open system where you can continuously add water and take it out, which calls for simple maintenance. Thus, the storage tank never gets contaminated. However, the filtration system only designed to remove the large sediment in the water and does not remove the micro-particles which also makes up the impurity in the well water.
11. Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Heavy Duty Water Filtration System
- The Culligan WH-HD200-C is an easy to install device that can take out heavy debris with the help of an in-line sediment filter
- This unit has a capacity of 0.5-inch sediments and a nominal flow rate of 100 GPM
- The instructions for setting this unit up are very difficult to follow
- This unit has a lot of water pressure drop, which requires a massive flow rate to overcome. This becomes quite an issue in spring when the water table is lower and the incoming flow rate is naturally lower
The Culligan WH-HD200-C is a pre-assembled sediment filter that does not require assembly. The filter is designed to replace any sediment filter right on top of your water supply pipe. This way you do not have to get into the system to replace sediment filters.
This unit features a stylish white plastic cover on the end of the in-line filter that compliments the clear housing. The cover is designed to prevent a back flow of water from your house.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best sediment filter for a well?
In general terms, a sediment filter can be understood as a filtration device that removes sediment, rust, silt and other particles from water. Sediment refers to tiny abrasive and solid substances commonly found in water from rocks, sand, or soil. Sediment may affect the quality of the water, making it unpleasant to use, by coloring the water brown or yellow or impeding water flow.
These particles plus their decomposition byproducts may even cause health problems to humans and damage other water devices. Sediment filters help eliminate these contaminants, making the water clean and safe.
Sediment filters, together with sand and gravel beds, are useful components of well water treatment systems. Due to their cost effectiveness and simple water filtering system, they have gained popularity in recent years and are now installed in more than 75% of the wells across the United States of America.
Do I need a sediment filter for well water?
Your well water supply is the water drawn from the ground via wells and pump systems to supply water for homes or other manmade structures. If water is drawn from a lake or river, it’s considered surface water. On the other hand, groundwater is the water that is trapped underground in the aquifer. A home typically utilizes a pump and a well to access the water.
However, since wells are dug into the ground, the water travels through the earth’s surface and draws all sorts of natural substances. These can include fine sediment or dirt, sand and gravel, iron and manganese, limestone, and even salt.
What micron filter is best for well water?
Well water filtration is needed to remove all the minerals and sediment in your water. It can be in the form of a pitcher, faucet filter, or a whole house filtration system. Depending on where you live, the result may vary.
However, the general rule of thumb is that the sand sized sediment filter is only good for municipal water. On the other hand, the smaller the micron filter, the purer your water will be. This is because it can filter out all minerals and sediment that is a few microns in size. Of course, for this you will need to pay a little more money.
However, if you want to get the best micron filter for well water and it’s within your budget, be sure to consider the following factors:
Proven technology goes a long way:
How do you filter sediment from well water?
A sediment filter is a type of water filter that effectively removes dirt, sediment, and other impurities from water. The water which makes the sediment filter dirty is called water of even distribution. For sediment filters, the direction of flow is towards the sediment filter. There are different types of sediment filter in the market, but they all have these three major components:
The compartments are made of bioplastics (plastic materials produced by biological processes) which retain the dirt and the sediments after being filtered through the sediment filter. These compartments are available in different sizes to accommodate for the assorted sizes of the the sediment filter and the expected water flow.
What you need to ensure is that these compartments are all exactly the same and that they have the same capacity as that of the sediment filter.
How does a sediment filter work?
If your water is rusty or has a musty smell, there are things you can to help to improve the quality of the water in your home. One of the easiest is with a sediment filter for well water. A good-quality sediment filter system can help improve the smell, taste, and consistency of well water and drinking water by clearing the water of impurities and by filtering particles and sediment before they enter your pipes.
To help you find the right system for your needs, we’ve come up with a list of the nine best sediment filters for well water. A good system will prevent your water from tasting and smelling bad and can help you save money on your water bill.